Servings? 9-inch pie crust Cooking Time? 60 mins
What you need?
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, and some more for rolling the dough
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 8 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp cold water (prepare 2 more, if needed)
How to cook it?
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, salt, and sugar and stir several times to combine.
- Add butter pieces and stir until mixture almost smooth, with only few pea-size pieces left.
- Sprinkle the cold water and mix until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers (if needed, add up to 2 tablespoons more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time).
- Turn dough out onto a work surface and form dough into a 3/4-inch-thick disk.
- Wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 40 mins to an hour.
- Before baking, unwrap dough and place on a large piece of floured waxed paper.
- Roll dough to a 12 to 14-inch round. Using the wax paper, lift and wrap dough around the rolling pin (discarding paper).
- Carefully unroll over a 9-inch pie plate. Gently fit into bottom and up sides of plate by using your thumb and fore finger to press them into the plate mould. (Don’t let there be overhang. Fold overhang under itself. Pinch between thumb and forefinger to make a uniform edge around the rim.) Refrigerate again to keep chilled, while your prepare filling. At least 10 mins to an hour.
Tips? The pie crust is easy and quick to make and can be used for both savoury and sweet pies and quiches of your liking. It will keep for between 3-5 days in the fridge. A great way to use up left over vegetables and meat in your fridge too.