Servings? 2-3 people (12-14 three-inch fritters) Cooking Time? 30 mins
What you need?
- 2 ears corn (2 cups kernels)
- 2 eggs (separate yolk and whites)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp Olive oil (for frying)
How to cook it?
- In large pot of boiling water, add the corn and boil for 10 mins.
- Drain out the water and run through cold water for a minute, and using a knife shave the kernels from the corn into a medium bowl.
- Add egg yolks, flour, sugar, salt, and a dab of pepper and stir to combine
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff but not dry, then fold into the corn mix.
- In a medium pan on medium-high heat, add some oil.
- Using a small ice-cream scoop, add the mix into the heated pan and spread to flatten. Add 3-4 scoops slightly spread apart within pan.
- Cook for about 1-2 mins on each side, and flip when it gets golden brown.
- When both sides are well cooked, scoop into an oil sieve/drain and let it sit for a minute before serving.
Tips? The fritters work really well as a light afternoon snack, but also can be had on the side of your breakfast, instead of bread. It goes well with sausages or bacon or anything else savoury as the fritters are starchy and on the sweet side. If you want some added excitement, you can even add crab meat or some shell fish to the mix.
These are great for entertaining guests. It tastes great on its own, but also is yummy when served with a sweet/sour tasting sauce e.g. sweet chilli sauce, plum sauce, or even light vinaigrette salad dressing.